Skip to main content

March 1 + Daily notes & readings

DAY 60

We've been reading the Bible for 60 days!  That's an accomplishment because it's too easy to give up.  "Especially when we're reading material that seems...outdated.  Why do we need to know the laws of Moses if we already know about Jesus?"  That's a real question.  So is this, "These laws don't apply to us, so what's the purpose of reading them?"

Today's Bible Project video illustrates how the law of Moses is a significant piece of God's story throughout scripture.  You can't truly understand Jesus' ministry without understanding the law of God.  Take a look.



DAILY READINGS

Deuteronomy 21-23 & Psalm 60

DAILY NOTES

Deuteronomy 21:1-9
  • This section describes what you are to do when you come across someone who has been killed in the "open country" and it is not known who has killed them.  The elders of the towns must determine whose town is closest and present an offering to amend the innocent blood shed.
Deuteronomy 21:10-14
  • A man may receive a female captive of war as his wife.  He is also able to disregard her if he is not satisfied.  No word on what she's able to do if she's not satisfied.
Deuteronomy 21:15-21
  • This section deals with children.  First, it highlights the position of the first-born child.  Even if a man has two wives and bears a child first with the women he dislikes, that child is still to have the honor, along with its privileges and rewards, of being the first born.
  • The passage follows with what to do with a rebellious child.  It is expected that the parents have disciplined the child.  There's no indication of what age of a child this would apply to.  
    • Both parents have to agree to present him (daughters?) to the elders.  Afterwards, the wayward child is executed.  
Deuteronomy 22:1-4
  • The people are not to withhold their help of a neighbor or fellow Israelite whose animals or other belongings have been lost.  The command is not to ignore the animals that have strayed.  
Deuteronomy 23:1-8
  • There are certain men who shall be excluded from the assembly of the Lord--men of Israel.
Psalm 60
  • The psalmist's people have been suffered a defeat.  The inscription indicates that 12,000 men were killed in battle.  You can imagine the pain and humiliation of the entire people.  Their defeat is seen as a sign of rejection from God.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS

The command of Deuteronomy 22:3 (You may not without your help) struck my heart because I had been thinking of something I read recently.  Since that verse deals with helping someone who has lost an animal or some other property, this doesn't match the topic perfectly.  It's about helping others in another way.  WARNING: It's pretty convicting.

Before you read, consider the part of the Lord's Prayer that says, "Give us this daily our daily bread."

I was watching a television program in which a Christian from Sudan was being interviewed. He asked, "How can our rich Christian brothers and sisters in America ignore the fact that we in Sudan are starving to death?"  I thought to myself, "I'm glad I don't have to answer that question!" And then the Holy Spirit tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You do." 
What would you say to that man?  I think I would have to apologize.  I wouldn't want to admit how many times my prayer has really been "Give me this day my daily luxuries."  I wouldn't want to confess to how seldom I have even thought about his plight. I wouldn't want to have to tell him that American Christians give only about 3 percent of their income to their churches and charities. I certainly wouldn't want to mention how much food we throw away after a church dinner. 
That man in Sudan and I both pray, "Give us this day our daily bread."  For him, it is a cry of desperation. For me, it needs to become a vow of generosity.  When I say those words, I'm not asking for bread for myself. I'm twenty pounds overweight. I could use a little less daily bread. When I pray "Give us this day our daily bread," I am pledging to do all in my power to see that my brother in Sudan has daily bread. 
"Give us this day our daily bread" is a prayer of equality. It is a recognition of God's interest in more than just my needs. God cares for the needs of all...He wants everyone to have enough.

Lord, help us to not without our help!

Stay blessed...john

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 6 + Daily notes & readings

DAY 96 We've come a long way from wondering in the desert.  Now, after many battles and years of disarray, God's people are living in peace and the Lord has a house built. DAILY READINGS 1 Kings 8-10 & Psalm 96 DAILY NOTES 1 Kings 8 Solomon brings the ark of God to the temple. The temple is dedicated.  Solomon offers a prayer for the occasion. Solomon blesses the people. 1 Kings 9 The highlight of this chapter is that God appears to Solomon again (in a dream?).  The line of David will continue through Solomon, assuming he follows the way of God.  The people must also follow. 1 Kings 10 The Queen of Sheba visits Solomon to see for herself his wisdom.  She is amazed (breathless).  The two crowns exchange gifts. Some of Solomon's furniture is described as a way to emphasize the grandeur of his reign and the temple.  Notice how "the whole earth" wanted to see Solomon (10:24). OTHER OBSERVATIONS Solomon's prayer at...

March 27 + Daily notes & readings

DAY 86 Ever notice these books don't end with happily ever afters?   Remember that we are reading an entire story of God told over many years.  The individual books help us follow that story, but we do well in remembering it's still one complete story. Today, we're finishing 1 Samuel.  As we read, we'll see how far Saul has fallen.  Ultimately, what God said would happen, happens. DAILY READINGS 1 Samuel 28-31 & Psalm 86 DAILY NOTES 1 Samuel 28 This chapter is devoted entirely to Saul's encounter with a medium. Notice that Saul had previously expelled mediums and wizards.  This could be a sign of his former faithfulness. Saul's fear overwhelmed him.  He is up against a Philistine army he does not think he can defeat. Since Saul could not hear from God, he seeks a medium to "inquire of her."  What did he want to know (from God or the medium)?  He asks Samuel what he should do.  So, is that asking whether to...

April 11 + Daily notes & readings

DAY 101 The great prophet Elijah leaves the scene (He'll appear again later.  Do you remember where?).  Elisha takes his place and immediately begins to act as prophet among the people.   DAILY READINGS 2 Kings 1-3 & Psalm 101 DAILY NOTES 2 Kings 1 King Ahaziah is injured and he wants to know if he'll live.  He seeks input from the prophets of Baal-zebub.  Elijah finds out and interrupts Ahaziah's men from going to the prophets.   Notice that Elijah, that hairy man, is divinely protected by the captain and his men.   Ahazia never hears from the prophets.  Elijah speaks directly to him to tell him that he will surely die. 2 Kings 2 Where did the idea of a whirlwind come from?  Did anyone expect that Elijah would be taken "to heaven by a whirlwind"?  Everyone seems to know that today Elijah will be gone. Elisha's command to the band of prophets seems to indicate his sense of loss but also a vigor...